Skip directly to content

Frequently asked questions


What’s the purpose of this strategy?

Manitoba’s new hospitality strategy is intended to modernize the Liquor Control Act. The strategy enhances hospitality opportunities while promoting safety in licensed premises, addressing underage drinking and reducing red tape.


When will these changes take place?

See the timeline for the schedule of changes.


What forms of photo ID are required to purchase alcohol?

Young adults attempting to purchase alcohol or gain access to age-restricted premises will be asked to produce valid photo identification, such as:

  • Manitoba Driver’s Licence or Enhanced Driver’s Licence
  • Manitoba Identification Card or Enhanced Identification Card
  • Passport* (Canadian or other country)

*Passport photos must clearly look like the person who has presented it for identification, otherwise they may be asked to produce a second piece of ID for verification.


What if I don’t have identification from MPI or a passport? What else can I use?

If you don’t have one of the MPI licences, identification cards, or a passport, you can use two pieces of valid government-issued identification, one of which must be a photo ID.

Examples of alternative photo ID:

  • Canadian Firearms Licence
  • Canadian Forces Identification Card (National Defence)
  • Certificate of Canadian Citizenship
  • Certificate of Indian Status
  • Civilian Identification Card (National Defence)
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Driver’s Licence issued by another province or state

Examples of other secondary ID:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Provincial Health Card
  • Social Insurance Card

What is a brew pub?

A brew pub is a licensed premises that manufactures beer for on-premises consumption and off-premises sales.


What will “formally recognizing brew pubs” mean?

Brew pubs were allowed to operate in Manitoba but it was necessary to combine two different types of licence. As of November 1, 2011 there will be a specific licence class for brew pubs, and they will be able to sell their product off-sale and through other retailers, including Liquor Marts. By encouraging the success of brew pubs, we will be supporting the growth of businesses that increase our appeal as a tourist destination.


Will I be able to buy liquor at my grocery store?

You won’t be able to buy liquor at every grocery store, but the MLCC may locate up to five of its 10 new “Liquor Mart Express” stores within urban grocery stores. These Express stores will focus on locally produced products, as well as Canadian wine, spirits and craft beer. They will be staffed by MLCC employees to ensure our social responsibility standards are met.


What kind of additional merchandise will Liquor Marts be able to sell?

Liquor Marts customers can now purchase a corkscrew, wine magazine, and non-alcoholic beverage products. According to customer surveys conducted by the MLCC, 78% of customers support the idea of being able to purchase this type of merchandise at Liquor Marts. To further encourage social responsibility, the MLCC is exploring the ability to sell taxi-fare vouchers. There is also opportunity to support significant tourism events such as the Grey Cup, Folklorama and World Curling through the sale of promotional event items like hats and T-shirts.


Will all beer vendors be selling coolers and ciders?

Not all beer vendors will be able to sell coolers and ciders. Most Winnipeg beer vendors are expected to offer this convenience for their customers; however, in some rural areas, this option is not available. We recommend you check with your local beer vendor for availability.


How does the Bring Your Own Wine program work?

The voluntary program allows patrons to bring their own unopened bottle of commercially-produced wine to enjoy with a meal in a dining room of a licensed premises. To ensure responsible service, only staff of the licensed premises are authorized to open a bottle of wine. The licensed premises is allowed to charge a corkage fee for this service.


Who else has a Bring Your Own Wine program?

Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Quebec currently allow a bring-your-own-wine service.


Will I be able to bring homemade wine to a BYOW restaurant?

No, the wine must be commercially made and the bottle must be unopened.


Can I bring other types of liquor to a BYOW restaurant?

No, wine is the only type of alcohol beverage included in the BYOW option.


How much will the corkage fees be?

BYOW restaurants will set their own corkage fees so costs may vary.


Will all Manitoba restaurants offer the BYOW service?

The BYOW exemption is only available for licensed restaurants. The program is voluntary so restaurants can opt in or out. It will be up to each restaurant to decide what makes sense for their business.


How will I know which restaurants offer the BYOW service?

As the program is voluntary, the MLCC will not be keeping a list of participating restaurants. We recommend patrons contact the restaurant regarding their participation in the program.


When will on-line social permit applications come into effect?

The MLCC will introduce a convenient, on-line application process in 2012.


What kind of ID will be required when purchasing alcohol?

Young adults will be required to produce identification from Manitoba Public Insurance such as a Driver’s Licence, Enhanced Driver’s Licence (EDL), Identity Card (IC), or Enhanced Identity Card (EIC) – or alternatively, two additional pieces of ID, of which one must be a photo ID. This requirement is expected to be in place in 2012.


What can happen to an adult who provides their ID to a minor?

Under the amended Liquor Control Act, it is now against the law for an adult to provide their ID to a minor in order to purchase alcohol or access age-restricted licensed premises. Offenders will be subject to a fine. Anyone who uses false ID to purchase alcohol is also breaking the law.


What is a dry grad?

A dry grad provides graduating students with the opportunity to celebrate their success in a safe alcohol- and drug-free environment. It differs from a safe grad, where graduating students and their guests are allowed to drink, but no one is permitted to drive. The intent is to shift the focus of a graduation event from an opportunity to drink alcohol to an event that features entertainment or other fun activities.


Why change now?

Manitoba will soon be the home of new world-class attractions, including the Canadian Museum for Human Rights and the International Polar Bear Conservation Centre. We want to do everything we can to ensure that new visitors and businesses find our province attractive. A vibrant hospitality sector is an important way of creating welcoming surroundings – as is a safe and responsible environment for having fun. The strategy also reflects our vigilance in ensuring underage drinking is restricted.

Cette information est aussi disponible en français.